There were 4 versions originally tested before the final design was established, a great blend between easy insertion and long-term durability. I tested them on my own forehead, a generally problematic area to have long-term. They have now been flat and happy for over 3 years now, with no lifting or tilting what-so-ever.
I exclusively use the macrodermal base at my two Australian studios (First Blood
, Sydney and Opal Heart
, Perth) and my customers have healed them in areas that they have had problems with smaller bases in the past.
If you pay close attention to the prototype, you will notice a few things:
- The thread (a standard 1.2mm/14g internal thread) is lightly counter-bored. This makes changing tops MUCH easier when inside the body as you can 'sit' the thread inside and line it up before screwing it on tight.
- There is a little 'dimple' in the short leg, this is used to 'lever' the shorter side in. I personally use a disposable 16g needle blank these days, but I used to use the tip of a 14g taper. This lets you 'feel' for the right depth and make sure that the short foot is inserted to the same depth as the larger side
- The polish could be better. Production runs were small and quality control was unfortunately limited.